Byrd Schoolhouse

Built in 1879 on land donated by Maria Byrd near the town of Pilot Rock, this little one-room schoolhouse served children from grades 1-8 until it closed in 1940. A fairly typical rural school of its time, it taught a variety of subjects to a wide range of ages simultaneously. On the western wall, there is a chalkboard that was signed by a number of the pupils that attended that school when it was moved to the museum grounds.